said say

SAY OR TELL, SAID OR TOLD?

4:17 AMZannnie

PS


"say" can be followed by a personal pronoun connected with 'to':
'He said to me...'

said (verb)
is the past simple and past participle of say
can be used in direct speech
'I will be late', said Freddie

said (adjective)
used before a person or thing already mentioned.
example: The said person's spouse was the informant.

"tell" is always directly followed by a personal pronoun without 'to':
'He told me...'; except in special phrases 'to tell the truth, to tell a lie', to tell the future, to tell the time, to tell him a story

told
is the past simple and past participle of 'tell'
is used in reported speech to talk about what people say (followed by 'that')
example: I told him that I would not attend his wedding.


told
When told is used in the meaning of an instruction
example: His boss told him to leave.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form